Vancouver Coastal Health
|Job Title:||Outreach Worker
(Diploma in Community Social Services)
|Based on the North Shore, work sites will include a range of Substance Use and Primary Care Services.|
|Status:||Temporary Full Time|
|Start Date:||As soon as possible until approximately December 31, 2020|
|Salary:||$24.38 – $26.42 per hour|
|Hours:||0900 to 1700|
Come work as an Outreach Worker with the Overdose Outreach Team at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for an Outreach Worker with a Diploma in Community Social Services to join the Overdose Outreach Team at Three Bridges Community Health Centre and at sites on the North Shore. Apply today to join our team!
As an Outreach Worker with the Overdose Outreach Team you will:
- Provide support services to individuals and their families with accessing opioid agonist therapy and related support services.
- Monitor clients by methods such as observing client’s health condition and environment.
- Arrange, plan, escort and accompany designated/marginalized individuals as necessary on appointments, errands and other activities.
- Create linkages to other community resources and programs.
- Assist clients in accessing benefits or assistance as appropriate and provide brief planning and coordination on issues related to substance use, opioid agonist therapy, overdose prevention and harm reduction.
- Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, administer medication to clients and provides medication reminders.
- Liaise and work with community resources and healthcare providers.
- Provide basic health-promoting information and promote development of life-skills to clients.
- Perform a variety of general clerical duties, attend meetings and participate in patient care planning and coordination.
About The Overdose Outreach Team
Our team of outreach and social workers and peers provide connections for people who have recently experienced opioid overdose and/or are at high risk for opioid overdose to substance use care and support.
We help clients with:
- Navigation to appropriate services (e.g., primary care, detox, treatment, etc.)
- Support in accessing Opioid Agonist Therapy (OAT) (e.g., methadone, suboxone, iOAT, etc.)
- Overdose prevention education
The Overdose Outreach Team does not provide long-term case management services. However, we do support clients in accessing long term support as needed.
Education & Experience
- Diploma in Community Social Services and one (1) year related experience working with People who use substances and those suffering from complex mental health issues and/or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC driver’s license and vehicle.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work with marginalized and culturally diverse populations including those with substance use issues and mental illness.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with clients and families in order to explore issues that are beyond the initial presented concerns.
- A working knowledge and familiarity with health and social service programs specific to the North Shore and more generally speaking in the Lower Mainland.
- Working knowledge of harm reduction principles
- Crisis prevention/intervention and conflict resolution/de-escalation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment as well as capacity to work in partnership with other community agencies.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques and First-aid.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process . Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.