The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS UNAIDS leads and inspires the world to achieve its shared vision of zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination and zero AIDS-related deaths. UNAIDS unites the efforts of 11 UN organizations-UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, UNDP, UNFPA, UNODC, UN Women, ILO, UNESCO, WHO and the World Bank-and works closely with global and national partners towards ending the AIDS epidemic by 2030 as part of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Vacancy No.: UNAIDS/19/ISHIP1
Contract type: Internship
Duration of contract: 8 weeks to 6 months, depending on the need of the welcoming division
Organization unit: AI UNAIDS Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS AI N/A
Main tasks and Responsibilities of the Position
• To be provided by the respective Supervisor and reflected in the Terms of Reference for the internship.
• Candidates for internships at UNAIDS must be enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate degree program at a recognized educational institution and have completed three years of full-time studies or have completed a course of study and have been awarded an undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate degree at a recognized educational institution. If candidates are recent graduates they will be expected to start and complete the internship within 12 months of their date of graduation.
• Candidates must be at least 20 years of age at the date of application and have a working knowledge both oral and written of at least one of the WHO/UNAIDS’s official languages Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish require in the office of the internship. Candidates should be holders of a valid passport from WHO/UNAIDS Member State.
Contractual Terms and Conditions
• Ability to work effectively in teams, adapt and integrate easily with the team, work cooperatively in support of team objectives.
• Ability to convey ideas and thoughts in a clear and convincing way in one-on-one discussions or groups presentations and ability to produce clear correspondence and written reports.
• Ability to effectively apply their knowledge and skills to the job, and to consistently learn and improve performance.
• Ability to show initiative and enthusiasm in their work, effectively organize and manage time, and deliver high-quality results in line with agreed objectives.
• Ability to innovate and find new ways of working and improving results while maintaining a strong service orientation.
• Ability to take ownership of assigned responsibilities, to be productive, fulfill commitments and use resources responsibly. Additional Information
• The duration of internships is limited to a minimum of eight weeks and a maximum of six months.
• Stipend may be offered by UNAIDS.
• During the internship period official travel may exceptionally be required. Interns will be provided with general medical illness, accident and emergency illness coverage insurance.
• Persons with immediate family members employed by the UNAIDS Secretariat e.g. son/daughter, brother/sister or mother/father are not eligible for internships.
• UNAIDS may offer an internship to candidates who have not previously participated in UNAIDS’ internship program